Summer time often means beach days, hikes, and outdoor play, as the weather starts to change beaches may be exchanged for other activities you can enjoy with your dog friends.
1) Enjoy the Fall Colors - As the air begins to cool this may be a perfect time to go for longer walks in the woods where heat exhaustion is less of a risk and you and your furry friend can enjoy the fall foliage and the changing of the seasons. Sniff the air for that tell-tale wood smoke and listen to the leaves crackle crisply under foot. It’s almost like heading off into the woods for a fall meditation with your dogs. Make sure to continue flea, tick and heartworm treatment as these pests are still around. Just because the air is chilling out, doesn’t mean the common pests that plague your dogs are.
2) Go for a Weekend Getaway – Take some time to enjoy a weekend away with your furry friend. Fall is often lower season for many pet friendly resorts so look at taking advantage of off-season prices. Find something that you and the whole family can enjoy – even your furry family members.
3) Enjoy the Great Outdoors – This is the time to romp and play, especially on clear days. As the leaves fall and you rake up piles play fetch or head off to a nearby dog park and enjoy some fetch. Always make sure your dog is up to date on all the needed vaccines. This will keep your fur pal safe during dog on dog interactions in public play areas.
4) Halloween Festivities – Check out the area for dog friendly fall festivals and Halloween parties, and find some fun attire for your dog. Giant spider? Ballerina? Fan dog of any sports team? Lion? Get creative and turn heads as you head out on the town with your costumed pal.
5) Snuggle Time by the Fire – If it’s cold enough get a fire going – inside or out. Roast your marshmallows, drink your hot cocoa and snuggle up by the fire pit, or under the covers on the couch with your dog. Turn on your season premiers, and scratch behind the ears because if it’s something you enjoy, your 4-legged best friend will enjoy it too!
Seasons change, and so do the activities you enjoy, so why not include your dog in those. Their ultimate goal is just to be around their favorite humans.